What Reviewers Are Saying About
VIDEOS OF AFRICAN AND AFRICAN-RELATED PERFORMANCE:
AN ANNOTATED BIBLIOGRAPHY
updated July 3, 1998
- "... should be acquired by any library dealing with video, Africa or
- Review by Keith Hart, Director, Centre for African Studies, University of Cambridge, in African Research And Documentation, No. 74, 1997, University of Cambridge.   For the full text of this review...
- "...meticulously annotated entries...a wealth of information.... users will be pleased..."
- Viewfinder (British Universities Film and
Video Council, May 1997)
- "This wide-ranging, exhustive directory of videos, splendidly illustrated...represents a valuable resource for anyone teaching or conducting research in the very broad area covered."
"In sum, this is a fine treasure trove of materials that fills an important niche. There is no other compendium of this sort available."
- Review by Erika Bourguignon, Ohio State University, in African Music (Roodepoort SA), July 1998.  For the full text of this review...
- "An impressive and ambitious compendium of 1,390 African and African-related performance videos with descriptions, indices, and other references."
"Valuable to many, from the Afro-centrist, sociologist, student, teacher to the arts lover..."
- Chicago Books in Review, Spring 1997
- "...remarkable compilation..."
- The African Book Publishing Record, v.17, n.4. 1996-1997
- "...fills a particular niche by bringing together citations of recommended videos on a particular theme guided by her personal and highly valuable perspective on African and African-related performance."
- Ethnomusicology, Fall 1997
- "...obviously a talented music educator, writer and musician whose interest in the cinema is apparent from the abundance
of video reviews in the book....a well-written guide..."
- American Reference Books Annual, 1997
- "...may profitably grace the reference shelves of public, school, and tertiary libraries alike."
"...fills a niche in bibliographic coverage of African 'performance' - defined by the author very broadly..."
- The African Studies Association of Australasia & the Pacific
Review and Newsletter, June 1997
- "...will become the standard guide for the foreseeable future.... one of a kind reference..."
- Come-All-Ye, v.17,n.4, 1996-1997
Back to main page for Videos...